Postdoc Position (F*M) - IMAFO
Postdoc Position (F*M) - IMAFO
The Austrian Archaeological Institute (OeAI) at the Austrian Academy of Sciences (OeAW), the largest non-university establishment for fundamental research in Austria, is offering a
POSTDOC POSITION (F*M) in Biological Anthropology
(full-time, 40h per week)
in the research group „Environment and Human Impact in Historical Societies” (Head: A. Heiss) of the Department of Historical Archaeology.
archaeological sources and the written tradition. The research group „Environment and Human Impact in Historical Societies” focuses on the relations between humans and their environment – mainly in historical societies,
but also during prehistory. Current research topics cover, for example, environmental history, land use and agricultural systems, subsistence and trade, natural resources exploitation, population dynamics, migration, health
and nutrition, and pollution and epidemics.
- Collaborative field and/or laboratory research in biological anthropology within the framework of the Department's research programme
- Establishment and implementation of own research projects
- Acquisition of third-party funds at national and European level
- Dissemination of research findings in peer-reviewed scholarly outlets
- Promoting young researchers within the framework of DOC-programmes
- Management of the anthropology laboratory and curation of its archives and collections
- Participation in the institute’s science communications activities
- Ph.D. or equivalent degree in biological anthropology or bioarchaeology
- Full professional proficiency in English and at least one additional language
- Outstanding research expertise and publication record in the fields of bioarchaeology and biological anthropology (e.g., human osteology, palaeoanthropology, forensic anthropology)
- Additional experience in at least one (preferred: two or more) of the following methods: 1) aDNA analysis,
2) stable isotope analysis, 3) histology, 4) palaeoproteomics, 5) 3D imaging and analysis (e.g., microCT,
- Willingness to expand your methodological approaches
- Flexibility, the ability to work in a team and the willingness to undertake longer research stays at home and
- Experience in the training/supervision of junior researchers
- Experience in science communications (exhibitions, public science media)
- Driver’s license Class B
- Fascinating field of activity in a dynamic environment
- Numerous voluntary social benefits
- Flextime arrangement
- Central downtown location
- Option to get involved in future TA projects
The position is advertised for 1 year with an option to extend this by a further 5 years (a total of 6 years). The
annual gross salary for this position is € 54.018,02, according to the collective agreement of the Austrian Academy
of Sciences (OeAW).
The documents required for application comprise (1) a letter of motivation stating the applicant's research experience (maximum two pages) as well as an outline of future research interests, (2) a curriculum vitae together with
(3) the certificates for the full academic record, (4) a list of publications, conference presentations, and activities in
science communication, and (5) three names of references with the full contact information. Please send your application including all relevant documents, certificates/references via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org (mentioning Job ID: OeAI078PD122) no later than August 31, 2022.
The Austrian Academy of Sciences (OeAW) pursues a non-discriminatory employment policy and values equal opportunities, as well as diversity. Individuals from underrepresented groups are particularly encouraged to apply.